The Boston Celtics are heading again to the playoffs as they formally are slotted in because the seventh seed, locking the crew right into a matchup with the Brooklyn Nets after tonight’s 118-100 win within the 2021 Play-In Event in opposition to the Washington Wizards. Jayson Tatum led all gamers with 50 factors, setting a Play-In Event document for essentially the most factors in a single such sport. Bradley Beal dropped 22 factors, 9 rebounds and 6 assists for Washington who could have a possibility to battle in opposition to the Indiana Pacers for the eighth seed on Thursday.
The Celtics have been led by none aside from Jayson Tatum, The Man™️. In a matchup in opposition to fellow St. Louis native (I do know, I’m sorry everybody retains bringing this up) Brad Beal, Tatum greater than doubled the previous’s level whole. Though pictures didn’t fall early, Tatum stored getting downwind to the basket. Marcus Sensible acquired off to a stable begin, however he rolled his ankle. Robert Williams additionally acquired off to an incredible begin defensively, after which he had a tough fall that finally incapacitated him for the remainder of the sport. Your 2020-21 Boston Celtics, girls and gents.
Kemba Walker had a poor capturing begin, however he upped the depth after receiving a technical foul within the second quarter. He didn’t look again as soon as en path to posting 29 factors and seven rebounds. The Celtics completely want this sustained manufacturing from him and no less than one in all Sensible/Evan Fournier to be dependable and constant on the offensive finish to have a puncher’s probability in opposition to their subsequent competitors.
The third quarter was one thing particular. Kemba set the tone early with some unimaginable performs each as a scorer and a passer, and Tatum took over the remainder of the way in which. Tatum posted 23 factors within the third quarter alone, giving him 41 earlier than the fourth quarter even began.
In a twist that
everybody completely nobody noticed coming, Ish Smith (17 factors) did some critical injury to the Celtics. He got here off the bench and torched Boston for 11 first half factors to be outscored on his crew solely by the second-leading scorer within the NBA. Boston’s bench wasn’t precisely dependable tonight, which I believe can be some extent of emphasis within the offseason (once more).
As for the same old suspects, Russell Westbrook was a menace. He had 12 rebounds in simply the primary half, ending with a line of 20 factors, 14 rebounds and 5 assists. He pushed the tempo early and sometimes, and he created a stage of depth that his teammates matched as the sport wore on. Naturally, Bradley Beal scored rather a lot, but it surely’s clear that he wasn’t near 100%.
Some areas of be aware:
- Semi Ojeleye, largely out of the rotation over the previous couple of weeks/months, acquired the decision early off the bench, which was fairly sudden. He didn’t see the ground within the second half
- Boston’s protection was tremendous, and freethrows helped the crew keep in placing distance after a tricky second quarter regardless of capturing 35% from the sphere within the first half
- Romeo Langford acquired Ojeleye’s spot minutes within the second half. He was very, very stable in his minutes, particularly defensively within the fourth quarter
- Boston acquired a reasonably pleasant whistle tonight . . . till the fourth quarter. Then the Celtics have been known as for 4 crew fouls within the first two minutes of the quarter
- Tatum tried 17 freethrows. Celebrity-level stuff from our superstar-level participant
The Boston Celtics at the moment are formally the seventh seed, they usually’ll tackle former PG Kyrie Irving and the No. 2 Brooklyn Nets beginning on Saturday, Could twenty second at 8PM EST. Put together your self since now for all the “narratives” coming from nationwide media. As all the time, keep locked in on CelticsBlog for all of the playoff protection you want.